Metal OA Emblems – How Would You Categorize Them?

A while back I posted about a small metal flap issued by Shu Shu Gah Lodge as a Thank you by the Lodge Chief and Advisor for service to the Lodge.

Shu Shu Gah Lodge #24 M1? Front

Shu Shu Gah Lodge #24 M1? - Back

I recently saw a post by Glenn Chase on his Kecoughtan Emblems and History Site regarding new metal flaps from Wahunsenakah Lodge #333.

Which led me to think about the Blue Book Definition for the M Category which is:

M = Any full-size emblem that is metal (does not include hat pins).

By the current definition the Shu Shu Gah Flap is a paperweight, a nice curiosity, but not an M issue.

Should the current definition be expanded clarified to include smaller items? Jacket Patches aside, all other material or shaped based designations do not have size restrictions. Well X’s and A’s do but only to distinguish the shape designation from the J designation.

Should the M category only include ‘flaps’ that can be worn?

What about other metal emblems that are not flap shaped?

Should there be a minimum size to be considered an M issue?

What about coin-like metal items issued by Lodges, should they be included?

If you had to write a new description for the “M” designation how would you word it?

“A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.” – Mark Twain



  1. Greg Grimes says:

    Well down in our neck of the woods, we use the definition if it can be worn on the uniform it is a “M” issue. If it has no pins, well it is a paper weight. Hmmmm, just the opposite.

  2. nyoatrader says:


    I would agree, based on the current definition. But by the same token, could we not call it an X than?

  3. Dave Scocca says:

    If it can’t be worn on the uniform, it’s not an “emblem”, and hence not an “X”.

    A lodge can issue a woven fabric or tooled leather belt, but it doesn’t get listed as a “W” or “L” issue because it’s not a piece of insignia. A metal paperweight is the same thing.

Leave a Reply